Taking the First Step:
Farm and Ranch Alternative Enterprise and Agritourism Resource Evaluation Guide
This resource was prepared in response to requests from local advisors, farmers, and ranchers for a
simple guide to the first step in identifying alternative income-producing agricultural enterprises and agritourism
opportunities. The requests stipulated that the guide be useful in developing business and marketing plans to help
entrepreneurs reduce risk through diversification of farm and ranch enterprises.
The guide has three goals:
- To offer farm and ranch entrepreneurs a self-guided process to make the first step in enterprise diversification.
- To help entrepreneurs make informed decisions so the steps they take will increase income, sustain the farm and
ranch, and conserve natural resources.
- To help landowners assess their natural resources for alternative agriculture and agritourism enterprises.
This on-line guide will help organize your efforts while you:
- Evaluate your resources
- Identiify Family Considerations
- Research Marketing Alternatives and Liability Considerations